Wednesday, June 20, 2007

This Guy Has it Right

NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg filed papers yesterday "to change my status as a voter and register as unaffiliated with any political party" which he says, “...brings my affiliation into alignment with how I have led and will continue to lead my city.” Translation: Bloomberg's now an independent. Of course the big question on every one's mind now is whether he is positioning himself to jump into the race for President. For someone who works in NYC, I believe Bloomberg has been good for the city and the fact that he is not beholding to any political party or special interests is a breath of fresh air in an arena dominated by big money contributed by PACs and the like. Don't get me wrong; this not an endorsement for his candidacy, but anyone who says, "I believe we can turn around our country's current, wrong-headed course, if we start basing our actions on ideas, shared values, and a commitment to solve problems without regard for party," (emphasis is mine) has it right. This country is so bogged down in the partisan politics of both parties to the extent that Washington can truly be declared a dysfunctional entity when what we really need at this time is unity and leadership to guide us through these rough and difficult times.

No comments: